Chronology of Schools in Fayetteville & Cumberland County

1794 - School established in the village of Fayetteville

1799 - Fayetteville Academy for Males & Females incorporated

1831 - First school building on Green Street burned

1832 - Donaldson Academy incorporated

1832 - A kindergarten opened in Fayetteville

1839 - Fayetteville Female Seminary advertises it has enrolled eighty-four pupils. Classes taught include Latin, French, arithmetic, geometry, English grammar and geography

1846 - The North Carolina Public School system begins. Cumberland county receives $1,915 from the state for school year ending September 1, 1846

1849 - Long Street Academy established as a preparatory school

1854 - Fayetteville Female Seminary opens

1866 - One room log cabin school for children opens in Wade

1867 - Public school education begins for Negroes at the Howard School on Gillespie Street

1878 - Graded schools established in summer of 1878. Funds for their support is raised by subscriptions

1885 - 44 public schools for white children and 46 for African American children

1897 - P.N. Melchor (African American) appointed to School Board

1900 - Committee on Education appointed by Fayetteville Mayor W. S. Cook

1903 - B.T. McBride elected Superintendent of Cumberland County Schools

1905 - First year pupil report cards used in Cumberland County

1909 - Four rural high schools established -- Hope Mills, Stedman, Godwin, and Eastover

1911 - By an act of the General Assembly the name of the Cross Creek Graded Schools changed to The Fayetteville Graded Schools

1911 - John A. Oates elected chairman of the school board

1915 - Orange Street School opens

1916 - Anne Chestnutt Waddell succeeds Maude Scurlock as Jeanes Supervisor of Cumberland County Negro Schools

1919 - The Parent-Teacher Association organized

1919 - Six public schools located in the Seventy First and Manchester Townships are sold to the U.S. government due to the establishment of Camp Bragg

1923 - Cade Hill School opens for American Indian youth

1923 - Massey Hill School opens

1931 - Due to economic conditions, the school year is shortened from nine months to six months

1935 - Armstrong High School, the county's first high school for Negro students is constructed

1936 - Beginning of consolidation of county Negro schools

1936 - Mae Rudd Williams appointed Jeanes Supervisor of Negro Schools

1939 - E. E. Smith High School is built with PWA and local school bond funds

1940 - Construction begins on Fort Bragg's first school building

1945 - All Negro teachers in Cumberland County hold "A" certificates

1950 - County begins supervisory program in white schools. Reba Proctor elected General Supervisor