Milestone 1855

Selected Milestones in Cumberland County's History

1754-1799 1800-1854 1855-1904 1905-1954 1955-2004


1855

Harnett County is formed from Cumberland County.

1858

Duncan McRae, while running for Governor, represents William Brookfield in his effort to secure his freedom (Brookfield v. Stanton 51 N.C. 156).
The Fayetteville Gas Company is organized.

1860

Cumberland County has 55 free Negro apprentices. 34 Negroes own real estate and 112 are property holders.
The county’s total population is 16,369

1863

The Town of Falcon, located in north-east Cumberland County on Mingo Swamp is founded.
Post office is established here in 1893. Incorporated in 1913.

1865

On March 11th, Union forces under General William T. Sherman destroys the federal Arsenal at Fayetteville.

1866

One room log cabin school for children opens in Wade.

1867

The Howard Graded School is founded.

1868

John Sinclair Leary (African American) is elected to Legislature of North Carolina.
The novel Dolores is published. This fictionalized story by Dr. Benjamin Robinson is based the famous Ann Simpson trial that took place in Fayetteville in 1850.
Hiram Revels, a native of Fayetteville was one of three blacks to sit in the U.S. Senate when he was elected in his adopted state of Mississippi to complete a term begun by Jefferson Davis. Revels was an educator, minister and state senator during his lifetime.

1870

The 1870 population for Cumberland County is 17,035.

1871

Fayetteville’s Knights of Pythias (a fraternal order) is founded.

1873

Winfield T. Fisher serves as postmaster of the Bluff Factory Post Office.
Marvin Methodist Church is founded.

1874

Part of Bladen County is annexed to Cumberland County.

1875

Young Men’s Christian Association of Big Rockfish Church is operating in Cumberland County.
Parkers Grove Methodist Church in Linden is founded.

1876

Black’s Chapel Methodist Church in north-east Cumberland County is founded.

1877

The Town of Godwin in north-east Cumberland County is settled. Named for Isaac W. Godwin who gave the railroad right-of-way. Incorporated in 1905.
Charles Chesnutt becomes first black to publish a story in the Atlantic Monthly magazine.
Fayetteville Normal School (FSU) becomes North Carolina’s the first state-supported school for blacks.

1878

First public graded school opens in Fayetteville. It was located off Highway 53.
John Leary serves from 1878-1882 as a school committee man for both white and colored schools.

1880

Robert Harris, first principal of Fayetteville Normal School appoints Charles Waddell Chesnutt to succeed him as principal. Normal School is located on the second floor of the Howard School.
The first cottonseed oil mill in Cumberland County is operating on Captain David Jones’ farm. It is located near the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad Bridge.
Cumberland County’s population has grown to 23,836
John Leary serves as a delegate to the National Republican Convention.

1883

E.E. Smith is chosen principal of the Fayetteville State Normal School. He held the position until 1933.
Campbellton Mission located at 511 Person Street is founded. Becomes Person Street Methodist Church in 1911.

1885

Gardner’s Methodist Church on Rosehill Road is founded at Gardners School House.

1886

Frank Porter Graham is born on October 14th at Fuller House on Raleigh Road. He became a U.S. Senator and president of the University of North Carolina.

1888

Daniel D. Bain is postmaster at Cornelia from 1888-1904.

1889

The Town of Wade is incorporated. Named for N.G. Wade.
Historical Sketch of the Presbyterian Church of Fayetteville by A.L. Phillips is published.

1890

Effie E. McGill is postmaster of the Bannockburn post office.
Dr. P.N. Melchor became Fayetteville’s first black physician in the 1890s.
Archibald Carmichael serves as postmaster of the Carmichael post office from 1890-1895.
County’s population is 27,321

1891

The Town of Hope Mills, known as Rockfish before the Civil War is incorporated.

1893

First local school tax levied.

1894

Telephone charter granted in Fayetteville on November 1st.
The “Book Club” is organized.

1895

Manchester, town in north-west Cumberland County on Little River is incorporated.

1900

Sarah C. Draughan is postmaster for the Draughan Post Office from 1900 -1914.
According to the census the population for Cumberland County is 29,249
Charles Chesnutt‘s The House Behind the Cedars is published.

1901

Hope Mills Methodist Church on Legion Road is founded.
The Cotton Post office is operated by Edward D. Snead from 1901-1914.

1903

B.T. McBride elected Superintendent of Cumberland County Schools.

1904

Lewis Chapel Church is founded on April 27th.