Black's Chapel United Methodist Church

Highway 301
Godwin, North Carolina 28344

(Founded 1876)

North of Godwin, North Carolina, stands Black’s Chapel . This is the original building constructed in 1876-1877, with two additions-a steeple which was erected in 1914 and classrooms which were added in 1948.

Through the inspiration of Mr. Wiley T. Rhodes in 1865 a Methodist Church was built in Godwin. Black’s Chapel was named after Reverend W. S. Black, presiding elder of the Wilmington District from 1874 to 1877. Founded in 1876, it was the first Methodist Church in northeastern Cumberland County. This structure later became a schoolhouse located a few hundred feet from the present structure.

Wiley Rhodes and William Culbreth, community leaders, saw a need for a suitable place of worship. They hired carpenters to build the church. Upon completion of the church, the carpenters locked the doors due to a lack of funds to pay the balance owed. William Culbreth helped raise funds to pay the balance. After a successful effort the balance was paid. The honor was bestowed on Mr. Culbreth of unlocking the doors and ringing the bell calling parishioners to worship. Since that time Black’s Chapel has been an active congregation providing ministry to the Godwin community.