Saint Andrews United Methodist Church

121 Lofton Drive
Fayetteville, North Carolina 28311
(910) 488-4648

(Founded ca 1840)

St. Andrews was built in 1848 on land donated by Malcolm J. Buie. Malcolm and Duncan Buie, Foster Mason, Peter Bolton, Nathan and Henry King built the traditional frame building with center aisle poles which separated the men from the women. In the early years the pastor was in charge of ten or more churches, and probably preached at each church only once every two months. St. Andrews managed to maintain a Sunday School even during the Civil War.

The McDuffie-Buie Cemetery and the St. Andrews Church Cemetery contain the remains of many of the early members of the church. While Rev. Isaac Avent was pastor in 1876, he enlisted many new members. George A. McKay was elected a trustee of the church in 1870 and represented St. Andrews at the Fayetteville district Conference in 1873.

The original church building has disappeared, but its replacement, built in 1910, is still in use. Renovated with funds raised by the church women’s "thrift store," the building has a meeting room, Bible Study /chapel, library and 24-hour prayer room.

The main building, composed of a sanctuary and educational wing, opened in 1966 under the pastorate of Rev. Paul Scott. The Fellowship Hall was added in 1983. In 1996 a Family Life Center was added to the front of the Fellowship Hall wing.

St. Andrews, a Methodist stronghold, continues to grow and change while remaining a beacon upon a hill to give glory to our Father in Heaven.