Piney Grove Freewill Baptist Church

244 Slocumb Road
Fayetteville, North Carolina 28311
(910) 488-9050

(Founded in 1874)

Originally known as Piney Grove Church, Piney Grove F.W.B. Church has served the community of Carver’s Creek Township since 1858. The first church was a building on an acre of land east of the Cape Fear River, donated by George W. Lawrence. The church building was replaced several times due to fire, storm, and old age.

The building completed in 1933 with planks made of trees felled by Dan Blue, Dan Elliott and others, is the sanctuary to this day, albeit with many renovations.

It is believed that there have been fourteen pastors of Piney Grove since 1865. In 1925 Rev. Jimmy McLean became pastor. During Rev. McLean’s tenure the Mother’s Board, Mission Circle, Building Fund Committee and Chorus were started. When Rev. G. L. Elliott became pastor in 1940, organizations such as the Women’s Home Mission, YPCL, Gospel, Adult, and Young Adult Choirs, and the Usher Board were established. When Rev. Elliott retired in 1982, Piney Grove received Rev. William Thomas "Tommy" Ford as pastor. During Rev. Ford’s time, the sanctuary was renovated and the present Fellowship Hall was built. Under Rev. Ford’s leadership ten ministers were ordained and many new organizations started, such as Senior Citizen Committee, Children’s Church, Mass Choir, and the Scholarship Committee. Elder Kirby Haire became pastor in 1990. He has been diligently moving Piney Grove forward.