Sherwood Presbyterian Church

Elizabethtown Road (Hwy 87)
Hope Mills, North Carolina 28348
(910) 323-1751

(Founded in 1874)

Sherwood Presbyterian church was organized February 16, 1874 by a committee of Fayetteville Presbytery. Thirty members were dismissed from the closest Presbyterian church, Big Rockfish, to form the new church of Sherwood at a site known then as Swamp Station. Sherwood had no pastor until 1918, when a minister was called to serve the "Hope Mills Group" of churches. Sherwood was in a group of four churches: McPherson, Circle Court, Comfort and Sherwood. McPherson and Circle Court were withdrawn, leaving the remaining churches without a pastor or manse. Big Rockfish joined with Sherwood and Comfort, and Sherwood built a manse in 1951.

The church building was destroyed by fire April 2, 1927. The Baptist and Methodist churches invited Sherwood to use their buildings for services until a new church could be built. Unfortunately all the funds for rebuilding were in the National Bank of Fayetteville when it closed its doors in August 1927, but the spirit of God's people was not broken and the first service was held in the new building March 18, 1928.

In 1967 the first woman elder was ordained and installed. By 1968 the members of Sherwood Church felt they were strong enough to call their first full time pastor.

Nearly continuous additions and improvements have been made to the church building since the 1950's. In 1961 land was given for a cemetery. In 1964 a steeple and donated bell were installed. Funds given in memory of a son of the church were used to purchase stained glass windows which were installed and dedicated in 1986. In 1997 the fellowship hall, kitchen and Sunday School rooms were remodeled.