Second Missionary Baptist Church

522 Old Wilmington Road
Fayetteville, North Carolina 28301
(910) 483-5925

(Founded in 1886)

Second Missionary Baptist church began as an outgrowth of Mt. Calvary Baptist Church in 1886 when Rev. Henry Adams saw the need for a Baptist church in the Wilmington Road Area. Worship service was begun in the Old Holcumb House onHighway 87 South.

In 1933 when Rev. Charles E. Perry was elected pastor, the church was on Wright Street. By 1940 a new wooden church building was erected at 522 Old Wilmington Road. During Rev. Perry's pastorate the membership grew, an Education Department and cafeteria were built and the church purchased its first bus. When Rev. Perry resigned in 1965, Rev. Willie E. Beamon became pastor. In addition to expanding the church building, paying off the mortgage and hiring a full time secretary, Rev. Beamon worked diligently to take religion beyond the walls of the church and the church grew tremendously.

Upon Rev. Beamon's death, Rev. Ivory E. Swann became pastor. Under Rev. Swann a clothes closet and food bank have been established, a constitution written, two vans purchased, the parking lot paved, a minister of music hired, and ground has been broken for a new church building to be erected early in the 21st century.