This school was constructed prior to 1926. Teachers at this time were Helena Scott Perry and Louine Edenia McNeill. When the new Lewis Chapel School opened in 1948, five colored schools were consolidated: Savannah, Blackford, Beaver Creek, Magnolia, Hillside and Hope Mills.
Built in 1922, this brick two story school located in the Carver’s Creek Township had ten classrooms, an auditorium, principal office, small library and science laboratory. The school became state accredited in 1927. In 1935 the school acquired a home economics department with sewing machines, a wood stove, freight tables and a few cooking utensils. Between 1938 and 1947 the interior was re-designed to include comfortable seating for students, oil stoves, a breakfast suite, and a small kitchen.
Linden Colored School
In 1931 Linden Colored School had two teachers: Julia Inez Leak and Elizabeth Frances Williams. In December 1937, Mae Rudd Williams, Negro Schools Supervisor held a teacher’s conference, issued supplies and checked the principal’s report during her regularly scheduled visit to the school.
Lonely Hill Colored School
This school was located in the Beaver Dam Township. Mary Ann Dancy was the teacher here during the 1931-32 school year.
Long Branch Colored School
During the 1931-32 school year, Mary Frances Daniel taught here. In 1940, students from Stedman Colored School were transferred to Long Branch. This was during the period when one and two-teacher schools were being consolidated. The School was located in District 7.
Long Hill School
This frame building, located on Route 6, Fayetteville was built in 1922. The school’s total enrollment at that time was 180 students. The school had six classrooms. Two classrooms were used for the high school. A lunch room was operated by a lady in the community. In the fall of 1948, the high school moved into a new building.
This small school was one of the earliest in Cumberland County, standing for decades in the old community of Argyle on land that is now part of Fort Bragg. Generally thought to have been established by Little John Graham, the “Johnny Appleseed” of academies in the Cape Fear region, the school was closely associated with Long Street Presbyterian Church, founded in the mid-1700s (Kelly 1998:114).
Longstreet Academy Map
A schematic map of the 18th and 19th century historical house sites and properties of Argyle community drawn by Loftfield (1977) show the relationship of the school to Long Street Church and neighboring farms.