This school building was located off River Road. Katie Shaw McNair, Mildred Adelaide Williams, and Mary Frances Daniels worked as teachers at this school.
Hope Mills Colored School
This school was consolidated with Savannah, Blackford, Beaver Creek, Magnolia, and Hillside schools when the second Lewis Chapel School opened in 1950.
Hope Mills School Early
In March 1903, the North Carolina legislature passed a bill to establish a graded school at Hope Mills. Built on sixteen and one-half acres between two mill villages, the building was destroyed by fire in 1916. According to the 1929-1930 Principal’s Annual High School Report for Hope Mills School, the school was rebuilt between 1922 and 1926. The two- story brick building contained 16 classrooms, a library, a science lab and an assembly hall.
Hope Mills School Recent
An addition of four classrooms and an office was constructed in 1936. In 1940, the school opened a Commercial Department with instruction for using typewriters, and the duplicator, ditto and adding machines. Other additions to the school include the opening of four new classrooms for the lower grades in 1948 and a cafeteria in 1950.