This was a three-teacher school located in the River Road area. In the 1931-32 school year, the teachers were Marie Taylor Williston, Pinkey McMillan, and Irene Elizabeth Bryant.
Godwin High School
Godwin School was created in 1905 from three one-teacher schools: Greenwood, Blacks Chapel and Long Branch. The consolidated school was named Godwin High School and J. Bayard Clark served as its first principal. It opened in 1926. Two years later the high school was consolidated with Eastover and later Central High. In 1926, Hector McIntyre, J.T. Williams and W.M. Pope were appointed as Committeemen by the Board of Education to represent this school.
Godwin Colored School
In 1931, Lucretia Williams and Virginia Sutton taught at this two-teacher school.
Grays Creek School
In 1921, Gray’s Creek was the first consolidated school in North Carolina to serve an entire township. The first record of bus transportation in Cumberland County was that of the children of Gray’s Creek. In the fall of 1957, a raging fire destroyed the main classroom building. By the fall of 1958, a new building for the high school was under construction. This building was completed in 1959. In 1973, Gray’s Creek consolidated with Hope Mills and a portion of Massey Hill to form South View.
Grays Creek Colored School
This three room wooden building was located two miles east of the Wilmington Road. The school had an enrollment of 60 students taught by two teachers. It was destroyed by fire in May 1948.
Green Colored School
In November 1937, Mae Rudd Williams, Supervisor of Negro Schools visited this school to hold a meeting with the teacher, issue supplies and check student attendance.
Gum Spring Colored School
Located on the Rockfish township, this two-room school burned on July 4, 1940. It was consolidated with Swan’s Creek and Pearce’s Mill colored schools in 1940.