Salem United Methodist Church

2171 Middle Road
Fayetteville, North Carolina 28301
(910) 483-8959

(Founded in 1848)

Salem is the ancient name for Jerusalem. Circuit rider preachers held services on the present site as early as 1840. Following the "big camp meeting" in 1848, people gathered under the trees to praise God and Salem Church was founded. By 1852 Salem established a Sunday School. It was not until 1958 that Salem had a pastor all its own.

The "Meeting House" a one room wooden building with two doors and a center rail separating men and boys from women and girls, was erected in 1850. It was remodeled several times before it was sold and removed in 1958. In the late 1950's Salem's new sanctuary, pastor's study, choir room and educational wing were completed. In the 1990's Salem has added a new wing and a paved and lighted parking lot. The new bell tower houses the bell that Mr. Love McLaurin gave Salem in the 1800's.

Salem organized a Women's Missionary Society in 1927. Since 1974 Salem women have participated in United Methodist Women. United Methodist Men, a service organization was started in 1951. The Epworth League began in 1929 and evolved into the United Methodist Youth Fellowship of today. Salem's thriving Senior Citizens' group was formed in 1974. Music has always been an important part of worship at Salem, from the days when a home organ was brought to the church in a wagon on Sundays to the present, with eight choirs, Shulmerich handbells, a grand piano, an Allen organ, hand chimes and a carillon.