Saint John's Episcopal Church

302 Green Street
Fayetteville, North Carolina 28302
(910) 483-7405

(Founded in 1817)

Saint John's, Fayetteville's first Episcopal Church, was formally organized April 7, 1817, under the leadership of the first rector, Rev. Bethel Judd, and the first senior warden, John Winslow. At the organizing convention April 24, 1817, North Carolina became a diocese and Saint John's became a parish. The cornerstone was laid on the present site by the local chapter of the Masonic Order in June of 1817. April 17, 1819, the Bishop of Virginia, Rt. Rev. Richard Channing Moore, acting for the Bishop of North Carolina, consecrated the church building and confirmed forty-eight people. In 1824 two chalices and the paten for Holy Communion Services were made from "coin" spoons donated by the ladies of the parish.

Saint John's Church was destroyed by the Great Fire May 29, 1831. The interior of the church was restored, conforming to the original plans. The tall, stately spire was replaced by the present multiple pylons. The new church building was consecrated January 13, 1833 by the Rt. Rev. Levi Stillman Ives, second Bishop of North Carolina. During the Civil War Saint John’s donated its original bell to the Confederacy.

The cornerstone of the first Parish House was laid in 1896. That building was razed in 1965. The cornerstone of the second Parish House was laid on Saint John's Day, December 27, 1966. The Chapel of the Beloved Disciple of Saint John's Church, incorporated in the plans of the second Parish House, was dedicated May 22, 1966.

From its founding in the Spring of 1817, seventeen rectors have led Saint John's Parish.