Milestone 1905

Selected Milestones in Cumberland County's History

1754-1799 1800-1854 1855-1904 1905-1954 1955-2004


A Short History of Cumberland County by J.H. Myrover is published.


The Woman’s Club of Fayetteville is organized “to promote the civic, financial and social welfare of the city and to increase intelligent interest in the betterment of the community.”


Clarendon Bridge burns over the Cape Fear River .


J.E.B. Stuart Chapter of the United Daughters of the Confederacy publishes War Days in Fayetteville.
Population for Cumberland County is 35,284


On January 31, the Pentecostal Holiness Church is founded in Falcon.


Town of Falcon incorporated. Known as Starling’s Bridge from 1863-1893 until post office was established there.


Babe Ruth hits his first home run in Fayetteville as member of the Baltimore Orioles.


Orange Street School opens. It is the first modern public school built for African American children in Fayetteville.


Ann Waddell Chesnutt succeeds Maude Scurlock as Jeanes Supervisor of Negro schools.


E.E. Smith (principal), eight assistant instructors, and a janitor comprise the employees of the Fayetteville State Colored Normal School. The school’s total annual budget is $4,356.30


On September 16th construction begins on Camp Bragg.


Camp Bragg (Fort Bragg) is established as a U.S. Field Artillery Training Center.
Pittman Hospital is founded by Dr. R.L. Pittman. R.L. Pittman was owner of several commercial properties including the Lafayette Hotel, the Prince Charles Hotel, Carolina Theatre and the Sears building.


The population for Cumberland County is 35,064.
Based on the Census of Agriculture, 35.9% of Negro farmers in Cumberland County own the farms they operate.


The Fayetteville Business & Professional Women’s Club is organized. This group established a loan fund for girls who needed financial assistance to attend a business or professional school.
The Fayetteville YMCA is organized in Spring.


Fort Bragg becomes a permanent Army installation.


Cade Hill, a school for Indian children is opened.


Prince Charles Hotel is built.


John Wesley Methodist Church is founded as Fayetteville Mission of M.E. Church at Stewarts Hill. It becomes John Wesley Methodist Church in 1954.


The History of First Presbyterian Church by H.S. Rankin is published.
Theotimus Bayne, a black man, operates a hotel on North Street.


Population of Cumberland County is 59,320 (31% increase).


Fayetteville Woman’s Club establishes free public library.


Due to the Depression, County employees are paid in scrip. About 10% of the county’s residents receive public welfare aid.


On October 12th, The Fayetteville Little Theatre announces its first production - “Home Town Girl”
Armstrong High School, the county’s first high school for Negro students opens.


Mae Rudd Williams is appointed Jeanes Supervisor of Negro schools.


From November 19-24, Fayetteville celebrates its 200th Anniversary of the “Settlement of the Cape Fear Region and the Ratification of the Federal Constitution."
E.E. Smith High School is built with PWA and local school bond funds.
A chapter of the NAACP is organized in Fayetteville. Early leaders are Elizabeth Henderson and Sippio Burton.


Cumberland County’s population is 59,320.
Downing Methodist Church is founded; becomes Culbreth Memorial Methodist in 1953.
Cape Fear Broadcasting began operating WFNC Radio on 250 watts.
Army personnel at Fort Bragg increases from 4,971 in March 1940 to 92,783 in October 1942.
Fayetteville is overwhelmed by construction workers and soldiers.
Construction begins on Fort Bragg’s first school building.


President Franklin and Mrs. Eleanor Roosevelt visit Fort Bragg and Fayetteville.
Bonnie Doone is an incorporated community from 1941 to 1953.


A branch library for blacks is organized and opens on March 18th as the James Walker Hood Library. The library is located at 1191/2 Gillespie Street.


Haymount Methodist Church is founded.
The flood of 1945 is the highest in any living person’s memory. The river gauge at Clarendon Bridge measured 68.9 feet.


The 82nd Airborne Division was assigned to Fort Bragg upon its return from Europe.


The Rhythm Vets of Fayetteville records a 26 minute movie with an all Black cast. It has a Jazz soundtrack and the title of the film is “Pitch A Boogie”. It is done by Thomas Gavin and other members of his college band such as Richard Jones, a music professor at Fayetteville State College.


Cape Fear Broadcasting Company‘s radio station, WFNC begins operating on 12,000 watts.
Radio station WFLB owned and operated by The Fayetteville Broadcasters, Inc. begins airing on February 18th with operating power of 250 watts.
Radio station WWNF begins operations in March on 250 watts.


The estate of Emma S. Hollingsworth makes $45,000. available to the City of Fayetteville for a library building. This bequest generates the construction of the Anderson Street Library.
Grannis Field completed. Piedmont Airlines starts service to Fayetteville with 21- passenger DC-3s.


Cumberland County’s population is 96,006.
The Opera House is destroyed by fire on April 23rd.
Dr. Matthew Leary Perry opens the Leary-Perry Hospital, a 42 bed facility for obstetric and pediatric patients.
John Oates publishes The Story of Fayetteville


The 18th Airborne Corps re-activated at Fort Bragg. Fort Bragg becomes known as the Home of the Airborne.


Cumberland County Public Library opens on Anderson Street.


New Fayetteville High School (Terry Sanford) opens.


The new E.E. Smith High School opens.