Milestone 1855

Selected Milestones in Cumberland County's History

1754-1799 1800-1854 1855-1904 1905-1954 1955-2004


Harnett County is formed from Cumberland County.


Duncan McRae, while running for Governor, represents William Brookfield in his effort to secure his freedom (Brookfield v. Stanton 51 N.C. 156).
The Fayetteville Gas Company is organized.


Cumberland County has 55 free Negro apprentices. 34 Negroes own real estate and 112 are property holders.
The county’s total population is 16,369


The Town of Falcon, located in north-east Cumberland County on Mingo Swamp is founded.
Post office is established here in 1893. Incorporated in 1913.


On March 11th, Union forces under General William T. Sherman destroys the federal Arsenal at Fayetteville.


One room log cabin school for children opens in Wade.


The Howard Graded School is founded.


John Sinclair Leary (African American) is elected to Legislature of North Carolina.
The novel Dolores is published. This fictionalized story by Dr. Benjamin Robinson is based the famous Ann Simpson trial that took place in Fayetteville in 1850.
Hiram Revels, a native of Fayetteville was one of three blacks to sit in the U.S. Senate when he was elected in his adopted state of Mississippi to complete a term begun by Jefferson Davis. Revels was an educator, minister and state senator during his lifetime.


The 1870 population for Cumberland County is 17,035.


Fayetteville’s Knights of Pythias (a fraternal order) is founded.


Winfield T. Fisher serves as postmaster of the Bluff Factory Post Office.
Marvin Methodist Church is founded.


Part of Bladen County is annexed to Cumberland County.


Young Men’s Christian Association of Big Rockfish Church is operating in Cumberland County.
Parkers Grove Methodist Church in Linden is founded.


Black’s Chapel Methodist Church in north-east Cumberland County is founded.


The Town of Godwin in north-east Cumberland County is settled. Named for Isaac W. Godwin who gave the railroad right-of-way. Incorporated in 1905.
Charles Chesnutt becomes first black to publish a story in the Atlantic Monthly magazine.
Fayetteville Normal School (FSU) becomes North Carolina’s the first state-supported school for blacks.


First public graded school opens in Fayetteville. It was located off Highway 53.
John Leary serves from 1878-1882 as a school committee man for both white and colored schools.


Robert Harris, first principal of Fayetteville Normal School appoints Charles Waddell Chesnutt to succeed him as principal. Normal School is located on the second floor of the Howard School.
The first cottonseed oil mill in Cumberland County is operating on Captain David Jones’ farm. It is located near the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad Bridge.
Cumberland County’s population has grown to 23,836
John Leary serves as a delegate to the National Republican Convention.


E.E. Smith is chosen principal of the Fayetteville State Normal School. He held the position until 1933.
Campbellton Mission located at 511 Person Street is founded. Becomes Person Street Methodist Church in 1911.


Gardner’s Methodist Church on Rosehill Road is founded at Gardners School House.


Frank Porter Graham is born on October 14th at Fuller House on Raleigh Road. He became a U.S. Senator and president of the University of North Carolina.


Daniel D. Bain is postmaster at Cornelia from 1888-1904.


The Town of Wade is incorporated. Named for N.G. Wade.
Historical Sketch of the Presbyterian Church of Fayetteville by A.L. Phillips is published.


Effie E. McGill is postmaster of the Bannockburn post office.
Dr. P.N. Melchor became Fayetteville’s first black physician in the 1890s.
Archibald Carmichael serves as postmaster of the Carmichael post office from 1890-1895.
County’s population is 27,321


The Town of Hope Mills, known as Rockfish before the Civil War is incorporated.


First local school tax levied.


Telephone charter granted in Fayetteville on November 1st.
The “Book Club” is organized.


Manchester, town in north-west Cumberland County on Little River is incorporated.


Sarah C. Draughan is postmaster for the Draughan Post Office from 1900 -1914.
According to the census the population for Cumberland County is 29,249
Charles Chesnutt‘s The House Behind the Cedars is published.


Hope Mills Methodist Church on Legion Road is founded.
The Cotton Post office is operated by Edward D. Snead from 1901-1914.


B.T. McBride elected Superintendent of Cumberland County Schools.


Lewis Chapel Church is founded on April 27th.