Simon Temple A.M.E. Zion Church

5760 Yadkin Road
Fayetteville, North Carolina 28303
(910) 867-2708

(Founded in 1835)

The roots of this church extend back to 1835, when a faithful group of God-fearing Black people came together to worship God in their own way even before slavery was abolished. In 1850 these people set up a brush shelter in the area of Beaver Creek and, according to all indications, they called it "Beaver Creek Chapel." In a recorded deed dated November 18, 1873, Henry McDonald sold a piece of land to Beaver Creek Chapel. The deed was signed by Issac McDonald, Thomas McKoy, Issac Baker and Robert Kelly, trustees of the African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church of America.

The inscription on an antique bell, which was in use until 1976, shows that Rev. M.N. Levy was Pastor of Beaver Creek Chapel when the bell was purchased in 1887.

In1976 a new sanctuary was built and the educational wing was remodeled. November 9,1976, the name of the church was changed to Simon Temple A.M.E. Zion Church in recognition of the Black African, Simon of Cyrene, who carried the cross of Jesus up to Calvary when Christ became physically exhausted. In 1994 Simon Temple hosted the 114th session of the Central North Carolina Conference.

Many ministries have been added in less than a decade: Children's Church, Youth on a Mission, Nursery for infants and toddlers, Meals on Wheels, the PRAISE Project, Economic Empowerment and Scouting. There are presently eight choirs. In the summer of 1998 the Christian Development Center Preschool and Before/After School Program opened. The members of Simon Temple A.M.E Zion Church are thankful to be part of "the freedom church" of Frederick Douglass, Sojourner Truth, and Harriet Tubman.