Sardis Presbyterian Church

4654 Linden Road
Linden, North Carolina 28356

(Founded in 1816)

Sardis Presbyterian was organized on May 5, 1816 by twenty-seven dedicated Christians who met for worship at Hodges Meeting House on the bank of Little River. In about 1830 "Old Sardis," as it is called now, was built about a quarter mile from the original building. The cemetery there bears the names of many of those first founders. Sardis commemorated its centennial anniversary on May 7, 1916 by dedicating the present structure in the town of Linden. In 1985 the present manse was built adjacent to the church.

The first minister, Rev. Cohn McIver, was from Scotland, and delivered his sermons in both Gaelic and English. On a trip to Washington, D.C., in 1819, Rev. McIver collected $293.00 to build the church, including donations from President James Monroe, Ambassador George Washington Campbell, and Secretary of State John Quincy Adams. Pictures of all 23 preachers Sardis has had over its 183 years hang in the church narthex. Dr. W. F. Bateman is now serving as an interim minister.

Sardis has an active Sunday School, Youth Group, Presbyterian Women's group and sponsors the Linden Christian Men's Fellowship. Homecoming is held each year on the first Sunday in May with dinner on the grounds.

Sardis has always been a small church but it has survived through many wars, floods and winds. Sardis kept its door open during the Civil War, held services during the flood of 1945 and met to thank God for His blessings after Hurricane Fran toppled 100 year old pine trees in the church yard in 1996.