Saint Joseph's Episcopal Church

509 Ramsey Street
Fayetteville, North Carolina 28301
(910) 323-0161

(Founded in 1873)

St. Joseph's congregation, having separated from St. John's Episcopal Church, was organized with the help of Rev. Joseph Caldwell Huske, and officially chartered in 1873. It is the second oldest Episcopal congregation in Fayetteville. Rev. Huske became St. Joseph's first Rector after his retirement from St. John's Church. The congregation first rented a small church at the foot of Haymont Hill and later worshiped at a site on the north side of Russell between Gillespie and Anderson Streets. The present property was bought and the church was built in 1896 with proceeds from the sale of the property on Russell Street and the financial help of Mrs. Eva Cochran, through the efforts of Rev. Huske and Miss Charlotte McNeill. The present church, with antique organ and exquisite Tiffany stained glass Resurrection Windows, was consecrated March 28, 1897.

In the late 1860's, many of the people who became founding members of St. Joseph's were involved in starting Howard School, which is now Fayetteville State University. St. Joseph's Parochial School was one of the first formalized centers of education for people of African ancestry.

Over the years, St. Joseph's parishioners have made the facilities available to the U.S.O., the N.A.A.C.P., the Episcopal Society for Cultural and Racial Unity, Fayetteville City Schools, and the City of Fayetteville Parks and Recreation Dept. In keeping with it history of public service, St. Joseph's provides a nourishing breakfast to the homeless and needy six days a week. On June 1, 1982, St. Joseph's Episcopal Church complex was entered in the National Register of Historic Places.