Saint John A.M.E. Zion Church

1204 Woodland Drive
Fayetteville, North Carolina 28305
(910) 483-3274

(Founded in 1895)

St. John has its roots in the early Fayetteville community bordered by Murchison Road, Rowan Street, and Oakridge Avenue, called "New Town" where about 30 families of various denominations lived. The churches attended by these families were far from their homes. Lack of transportation hindered the very young and the elderly from attending worship services as often as they desired, so Mrs. Elsie Wright began holding Sunday School classes at her home.

The Sunday School flourished. Ministers and laymen from all denominations were invited to preach, instruct, and encourage the group. One of the ministers was Rev. Alex Johnson, who later served as the first pastor of St. John. Under his leadership the present edifice was established, although it has been enlarged and renovated over the years. In 1905 the cornerstone of the church was laid. Members of St. John today are largely the children and grandchildren of the original charter members and founders of the church.

Following Rev. Johnson was an honor roll of dedicated ministers. For the past seven years St. John A. M .E. Zion has been blessed with the leadership of Rev. Thurman Rhodes.