Mount Pisgah Baptist Church

Butler Nursery Road
Hope Mills, North Carolina 28348
(910) 485-5681

(Founded in 1874)

In 1874, Dave Murphy and wife conveyed a half acre of land for the church site to Marshall Hall and Lauchlin J. McLean, trustees for the Baptist Church. In April 1875 Revs. J. M. Beasley, R. Newton, and R. A. Moore organized a church and Sunday School with nineteen members. The name Mt. Pisgah was inspired by Deut. 3:27.

By 1897 Mount Pisgah had five deacons. In 1906 Sunday’s collection was taken up for the Baptist Orphanages. The church began a Protracted Meeting (revival) in 1907. Sunday night services and the Baptist Young People’s Union began in 1914 or shortly thereafter. Sunbeam Missionary Society was organized in 1918.

In 1939 baptismal services were held at Rockfish Creek and Truesdale’s millpond. It was also in 1939 that electric lights were installed and Mount Pisgah gave its kerosene lamps to Bethlehem Church. Vacation Bible School started in 1950. Family Night began as Mission Night in 1952. The new sanctuary was dedicated in 1964. In 1974, Mount Pisgah’s centennial year, church membership was 395.

To raise money for scholarship funds at Campbell University, the first annual Spring Festival was held in 1988. In 1989 the sanctuary was repaired and the church steeple replaced due to a lightning strike. In 1997 classroom space was renovated and a new fellowship hall was dedicated "to God and the building of Christian families."