Lebanon Baptist Church

Route 1, Box 379
(Beard Road)
Fayetteville, North Carolina 28301-9723
(910) 483-1988

(Founded in 1848)

The history of Lebanon Baptist Church dates back 151 years. Originally known as Piney Grove Church, it was located about seven miles north of Fayetteville between the Atlantic Coastline Railroads and the Cape Fear River Road. Within a few years, the location of the church was changed and a building was erected on the Old Plank Road (presently Highway 301).

Rev. John M. Beasley was Piney Grove’s first minister. The First Baptist Church of Fayetteville is considered to be the mother church of Piney Grove.

A sketch of the church built in 1881 shows typical features of churches of that era. It was a wooden structure with overhead transom of colored glass and windows of clear glass. The first two structures were one-room buildings built with material and labor donated by the members. Sometime between 1905 and 1910, six Sunday School rooms were added on each side of the building creating a T-shape structure.

At present Lebanon Baptist Church has 669 members with an average attendance of 231 in Sunday School each week. Lebanon has an outstanding music program and Youth Ministry.

Lebanon has continued to be a missionary church through the years. Its members have ministered in their local community, established three missions, and sent missionaries to foreign fields.