Hay Street United Methodist Church

320 Hay Street
Fayetteville, North Carolina
(910) 483-2343

(Founded in 1808)

Methodists in Fayetteville were organized as far back as 1808 when there was a Meeting House on Spring Street. The famed circuit rider Francis Asbury preached at a Methodist Meeting House in Fayetteville in 1805 and 1806. Bishop Asbury accepted the congregation into the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1808.

The land on which the present structure stands was purchased and the church building was dedicated in June 1835. Built in a Gothic Revival Style in 1908, the present structure was completed. Founded beneath the present church is a section of the original foundation of the church of 1835.

The sanctuary is very large and found there are memorial windows of unusual beauty. These stained glass windows in the sanctuary were selected by Dr. G.B. Patterson at the plant where they were assembled, in the state of New York near New York City. The stained glass was imported from Switzerland. The folds of the robes on the figures are actually blown into the glass. "Robing glass" is now considered a lost art. The brass chandeliers, once gas, are memorials and the quality of the brass makes them extremely handsome. The bell that hangs in the tower today is the one that was purchased in 1868. Hay Street Methodist members are particularly proud of the old silver dating back to 1835, consisting of tankard and two communion cups. These items are housed in a glass cabinet at the church.

Old minutes are well preserved and have been microfilmed. They can be found at the State Archives of North Carolina in Raleigh, NC.
Some considered the Hay Street United Methodist Church as the Mother Church of Methodism in Cumberland County.