First Baptist Church

302 Moore Street
Fayetteville, North Carolina 28301-4934
(910) 483-6505

(Founded in 1868)

First Baptist Church’s history began in 1868 with a vision of a group of dedicated and consecrated Christians gathered in a small house surrounded by beautiful cedar trees.

With faith in Christ, they launched a great Missionary Movement for God. The result of their vision is First Baptist Church.

Early in 1877, the Church property was purchased on Franklin and Maxwell streets where a frame building was erected for the purpose of worship. This building was destroyed by fire shortly thereafter and a more substantial one was built. The Church is indebted to her many pastors since her beginning. Each has made a significant impact on her entire history.

Dedication services were held on May 12, 1963 for the present-day site on Moore Street. In 1973, as a part of the Church’s outreach ministry, Topeka Heights-a low to moderate income housing complex was opened. October 18, 1991 was ground breaking for an 18 unit housing project for senior citizens, across the street (Moore) from the church. It is named "Edwards’ Place" in honor of Dr. C. R. Edwards, Pastor Emeritus. Many outreach ministries are available for all age groups, members and non-members. Her history is rich and her future is promising.