Baywood Pentecostal Holiness Church

1700 Baywood Road
Fayetteville North Carolina 28301-9008
(910) 483-2916

(Founded in 1898)

(formerly Person Street Pentecostal Holiness Church)

Under the leadership of Mr. O. J. Owen in 1898 a small group of Christians assembled for Sunday School and prayer meeting in an upstairs room over the McKethan Drug store located on the corner of Person and Gillespie Streets across from the Market House in downtown Fayetteville. Apparently they continued to worship there until 1903 when they purchased property at Person and Broad Streets. The existing building on this property became the first Pentecostal Holiness Church in Fayetteville. The church was served by supply pastors until 1907 when the Rev. A. B. Crumpler (founder of the Holiness Movement of North Carolina) became the pastor. There have been thirty-seven pastors since that time.

In 1919 the old church, the former Campbellton Sunday School Building, was torn down and a new wooden building was erected. Years later the Broad Street Assembly Room was built and used for worship service until a new brick building was completed in 1952. As the Person Street Pentecostal Holiness Church progressed, many additions were made to the church and a new parsonage was built in 1956.

In 1992, the church membership voted to relocate to the intersection of Baywood and Murphy Roads and built a new place of worship. The congregation agreed to call the new church Baywood Pentecostal Holiness Church in June of 1994. It was incorporated by the State of North Carolina on November 14, 1994. The groundbreaking ceremony was held on January 1, 1995 and the first service was conducted in the new edifice on August 27, 1995.